YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Gluten-Free Huckleberry muffins

Huckleberries, you say?




Okay, so it's a bit early to get excited for them as they ripen in late Summer, but Huckleberries, combined with baking, is a marriage made in Heaven. Few things smell better in life than Huckleberry  pie anything baking in the oven. I swear, it's like the ultimate power, to bake with those delicious berries.

Anyway, I used the last of the frozen Huckleberries I had left and turned them into the best muffins I've ever had (surely a stoner would agree, tossing their bag of Doritos out the window and hang onto the muffin tray for dear life). I used this recipe with a little modification, replacing regular flour with Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour, added a teaspoon of Xanthan Gum, and then a tablespoon of Maple Syrup (for no reason other than that I lurve Maple Syrup).

For the topping mixture, I used half white sugar, and half brown sugar. I think the recipe would be great with other berries, too, and since Salmonberries are currently ripe, I just might make Salmonberry muffins next!

(On the note of foraging for wild berries, there's a lovely nursery rhyme that children of the Warm Springs and Umatilla Tribes sing: "One for the bear, One for the Coyote, One for the Bird, One for Me." Take one berry out of a few, to leave for Nature.)



Gluten-Free Huckleberry Muffins. 
Time to omnom.


No comments:

Post a Comment